Friday, March 11, 2011

Venue... Check!

Yay! We finally have our wedding reception venue straightened out. Y'all, I searched FOREVER to find a venue that could accommodate our ginormous families and all of our friends and that wouldn't make us pay an arm and a leg and our firstborn for catering. Once we realized what was available and what things were going to cost (first- and secondborn.. is that even a word?), that search morphed into finding somewhere that was both large enough and wouldn't make us use their caterer. Maybe I'll post about all our venue fails and why they wouldn't work for us?

At any rate, Bear's mom went and signed the contract last night, so it is officially ours! Our wedding is going to be in Fenton, MI, and provided that I get my arse in gear and finalize things with the church, the church and the reception hall are basically right around the corner from each other. The reception space is an activity center owned by a Catholic church.. I think its official name is St. John the Evangelist Parish Activity Center. We are definitely not Catholic (much to my father's chagrin), and we're getting married at a Methodist church. Personally I think this is kind of funny. Now, the Methodist church where we're having the ceremony is also quite large and has a space which could accommodate a group of our size. However, those damned (ha, church joke) Protestants are such teetotalers. The church had a lot more rules about how their activity center could be used; for example, no alcohol on the property. Now, Bear and I aren't really the type to get our underpants in a twist over no liquor. He doesn't drink at all and since I became a card-carrying member of Real Life, I drink rarely/socially and regardless, definitely wouldn't be aiming to spend my reception intoxicated. I'd kind of like to remember it. However, we have many friends and family members who would be less than thrilled about a wedding reception sans booze, maybe even a few who would bring in contraband or perhaps spend the night drinking in the parking lot. Classy class. So, long story short, we decided that our particular reception would not be dry because we want everyone to have a good time. Plus, I think dry receptions could potentially get a bit awkward. At any rate, the Methodists were out, save for the whole marriage thing. We'll let 'em do that part.

So, after searching high and low and yonder, I finally found a phone number for the guy I needed to contact at St. John's. I knew about the existence of this place through word of mouth (my lovely photographer's mouth, to be precise), and luckily indeed. They do rent the space out for a quite reasonable figure with limited rules, but they don't advertise it because they don't want to necessarily be overrun with weddings. Makes sense, I suppose. As for the booze, the man told me that he wouldn't come if we didn't have alcohol. So, not only do they allow it, but they suggest it.. for the party's sake, of course. Good old Catholics. I felt very at ease talking to him. I seriously almost cried happy tears when I got off the phone with him since the venue search had been so grueling. Now that we have a contract, I feel so relieved! I am going to go over the details with my future mother-in-law when we get back to MI. Incidentally, that won't be until Saturday evening or sometime on Sunday, since we decided not to leave tonight for the sake of my sanity. Last night Lush bath > packing, so we have all night to pack/prepare and then tomorrow also for as long as we need. Gonna get back to this teaching thing for a bit now.. I never understood for a moment how much more teachers look forward to school holidays/breaks than students do. I am so happy today =)

No comments:

Post a Comment