Wednesday, March 9, 2011

T-4... months, that is

Today is the four-month mark. Damn. Everything seemed easy when this shindig was a year away-- "Oh, we're getting married next summer, we have plenty of time to figure out x, y, z, etc.. totally not worried." Umm, yeah. Maybe I'm not worried, but I'm a leetle bit freaked the hell out. Not because I'm getting married, of course, but because this is a huge event and it's pretty much all DIY.. er, DIO-- Do It Ourselves? Basically, we need to work our tushies off or we're going to have big problems; namely, 300 people who are annoyed they came to our bust of a wedding. I think we have everything under control, but I would feel better about the situation if I didn't have a more-than-full-time job to deal with during the week. Question: Why can't someone pay me to plan my own wedding? Answer: Because NOBODY cares as much as I do. Anyone care to venture a guess as to how many times Bear has said that to me? I don't have an answer for you, other than "a lot". He hasn't said that to me in a while, though, so maybe his training is working. We used to have these little tiffs about wedding planning where the details that mattered to him MATTERED, GODDAMNIT! (my inflection, not his), but the details that mattered to me were silly/petty/lame, etc. I think we've reached a mutual understanding. He finally realized that I was fully and completely aware that the details really don't matter to anyone else except me, but because they are important to me, they matter. That's some circular logic right there, folks, but it's the truth.

Our number one priority for our wedding is that it's going to be FUN. We both hate stuffy, fancy-schmancy events. We basically want a big party with all of our friends and family, and so far, we seem to be realizing that dream. Our ceremony is pretty traditional, nothing out of the ordinary, and that's okay. The thought of getting up in front of 300 people and getting married is terrifying enough as it is, without having to worry about whether the acrobats know their cues or the dancing bears are going to scare the kiddos in attendance. In all seriousness though, traditional is okay for us here. Our reception, on the other hand, is just going to be a combinations of a bunch of fun things we like. We like BBQ, so we're having BBQ. Most of our decisions were made that straightforwardly. Most of our friends are pretty excited about the details once we tell them, and I must say, I'm getting pretty excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment