Friday, July 17, 2009

amigos, betabeles y joyas

Well, we decided to stick around here this weekend and try to do some museums and stuff. Tonight is the last night here for our friend Andrew so everyone is going out.. hopefully no salsa tonight though! I went to the class at El Bar last night and I was the only one who showed up for some reason so I basically got a private lesson. Afterwards I met up with some friends from school for someone's birthday and we went back to El Bar and danced more. My feet/legs hurt so bad today! After that Kyle, Andrew, Rebeca (an American friend of Andrew's who works at the CIEE (Council on International Educational Exchange) and I went to a bar called Los Lobos and the boys played pool and Rebeca and I chatted a bit. It was weird, they played all American music.. things like Pink Floyd and Metallica, not exactly what you'd expect in Mexico! After that, we went to Zilch (which is kind of a bar but  more a venue for live music) and met Andrew's friend Marcos and his girlfriend. From there, we went to a little place called Why Not and sat for a while. We hadn't been out too much so Andrew was showing us around different places. All of them are so different.. and they have such funny names! It's really strange too that all of them play American music, especially "classic" stuff. They even played David Bowie at Why Not. One thing that is definitely different about being here compared to Granada is that I've met so many people from all over the place. I feel like I'm networking quite a bit. I'm really interested in what Rebeca does with the CIEE. It's funny, too, our undergrad majors/minors are really similar-- she was a sociology major with a Latin American studies minor, with Spanish mixed in there somewhere too. If you don't already know, I have a double major in Spanish and Sociology in Liberal Arts, with a double minor in Art History and Latin American Studies. I'm planning on pursuing a Master's degree in Social Work once I graduate next May.

In other news, I've discovered that I actually really, really like beets (or at least, really fresh Mexican beets). Rosario gave them to us at dinner a few days ago and I was skeptical but I've made sure to eat or at least try everything she's given us and as it turns out, I like beets and I can tolerate bananas. My mother is probably proud. I love Rosario. She is hilarious. Yesterday she was telling us all about the difficulties of finding bras in the appropriate size here, as well as about her love for high heels. Today she gave us each a present! She bought each of us a necklace. We've talked quite a bit about jewelry (since she loves that too.. she loved my rings), so she bought each of us a different necklace. They are all stones hung on leather cord. Mine is three jade stones, since that's my middle name; Amber's has two amber stones (for obvious reasons!) and a silver charm; and Jaime's is three pieces of red coral. They're perfect for each of us!

OH and this is really exciting too. In probably April, I realized that I'd lost the white gold & tanzanite earrings that Charlie had bought for me. I was pretty upset about it, since they were pretty expensive and I have a matching necklace. Well, last night I found them. Here. In Mexico. I was so shocked. They were in a little ziploc bag with a bunch of my cheap earrings which had made its way from Marquette to Clarkston to Guanajuato. It's absolutely ridiculous, but I am so excited!

Anyway, Jaime and Amber and I are going to go walk around and get ice cream before we meet up with everyone. One of these days I'll manage to get pictures on here!

No comments:

Post a Comment